I just learned that my screenplay Eurabia is a Quarterfinalist in the American Screenwriters Association (ASA) 11th Annual International Screenplay Competition. This script, which I wrote last year, also made it to the second round of the Austin Film Festival screenplay competition.
For the ASA competition, 130 Quarterfinalists were selected from the 1,400 screenplays submitted. Their entries will be judged again and the top scores will advance to the semi-final round. Semi-Finalists and Finalists will be announced in late May 2008.
Eurabia is a disturbing look at a possible future. The year is 2028. America has lost the war on terror. Europe is now “Eurabia”, a continent under the grip of radical Islam. But the CIA has a secret plan to use a biogenetic weapon to change the course of history.
From the abandoned streets of New York to a Paris ruled by imams, this political thriller follows an unwilling hero as he’s forced into a plot to change the world. Like most Americans, Roland wants peace after a devastating war with radical Islam. However, with an upcoming cultural exchange program with Eurabia, Roland is in a unique position, one that the CIA wants to take advantage of to introduce their new biogenetic weapon. This weapon changes the brains of radical Islamists, to make them tolerant and open-minded.
Roland is blackmailed into carrying this weapon to Eurabia. He doesn’t intend to use it – he expects to find common ground with a traditional Islamic society. Instead, he finds an oppressed people, ruled by a corrupt and violent elite cloaking themselves in the Koran. He develops a love interest, Gillian, and watches helplessly as she and her daughter are abused. Amal, a wise mentor, guides him toward a final confrontation with the rulers of Eurabia.
One has to just look at today’s headlines to see the timeliness of my story. I wrote this controversial script to explore the ideas and conflicts of our time – freedom, security, paranoia, individual rights, globalization and progress.
Read an excerpt from Eurabia.
- Murder in Ocean Hall – Free on Kindle! Black Friday Special! - November 28, 2014
- Coffeeneuring: Lessons Learned - November 23, 2014
- Coffeeneuring 7: Sex and the City and Cappuccino - November 21, 2014
- Coffeeneuring #6: Popsicles and Political Power - November 14, 2014
- Coffeeneuring #5: A Tale of Two Cycletracks - November 10, 2014
- Coffeeneuring #4: A Coffee Experience - November 4, 2014
- Coffeeneuring #3: Muffins and Marathons - October 30, 2014
- Running on Empty on the Jackson River Scenic Trail - October 24, 2014
- Coffeeneuring #2: Sunday Washington Ramble - October 12, 2014
- Coffeeneuring #1: Peet’s! - October 8, 2014