While technically not an island, Eastport feels that way, located across a drawbridge from highfalutin historic Annapolis, MD. But you won’t find cobblestone streets and signers of the Declaration of Independence here. With its narrow lanes, wooden shacks and air redolent of the Chesapeake Bay, it really did remind me a bit of Key West.
My trip to Eastport was courtesy of Enterprise CarShare. I’m a social media ambassador for them, like a real millennial. It was a day trip for me. Easy – you reserve a car online, swipe a card over a sensor on the windshield and drive off. Gas is even included.
I picked a Ford Escape which was conveniently parked a block from me. I really like that little SUV. You can haul stuff with it (like a bike) but it’s also nimble enough to parallel park.
Annapolis is about an hour from DC. Once there, I stopped for coffee at Ceremony.
Then I met my friends Lynn and Anthony for lunch at Davis’ Pub in Eastport. Crab dip over a pretzel – delicious! It was also nice to sit outside by the water at this unpretentious bar.
We then walked over to the Annapolis Maritime Museum. This riverfront museum is devoted to the history, ecology and the arts of the Chesapeake Bay. Learned a bunch about oysters. And they had a great exhibit of photos on the people still wresting a living from the bay.
This was the third of my three free trips courtesy of Enterprise. I get free travel and a small fee, and they get photos to use online. It’s been a great opportunity to explore new places and take photos.
When I briefly owned a car in DC, all I did was worry about tickets, break-ins and having my car towed to some distant lot. Carsharing is easier, even for a non-millennial like me.
- The Way We Live Now: Incompetent Dystopia - March 22, 2017
- The Rich Are Different Than You and Me - March 17, 2017
- The Terranauts: Adam and Eve Under Glass - March 15, 2017
- Southern Monuments - March 7, 2017
- Seven Principles for a Web Team - February 26, 2017
- Credentials? We Don’t Need Any Stinking Credentials! - February 22, 2017
- Good Read Alert: The Sympathizer - February 19, 2017
- Signs of Spring - February 15, 2017
- Don’t Blame The Swamp. Blame Yourself - February 13, 2017
- Fear and Loathing in Washington, DC - February 8, 2017